Interviews, Uglydolls

We Talk With Mr. Uglydoll Himself – David Horvath

11 September 2005 at 4:00 PM 30 Comments

We chat it up with Uglydoll, Noupa, Little Bony, Pounda, Wonderplan 51, etc. creator David Horvath. With a number of toys and projects on the horizon, we get the inside scoop.
(My questions are in black - David's answers are in blue)

With the first Series of Little Uglys recently released, and Series 2 landing in the near future, will we be seeing more characters in the “normal size” anytime soon?

New normal size Uglys have been born and are on the way.

P1000867

We all got a glimpse of the Mini Uglys vinyl figures at Comic Con, are these going to be in production anytime soon? Will we see more than just the usual Uglydoll characters?

We created this line with Critterbox so that we would have the freedom to release the “background characters” of the Uglydoll universe with greater ease.   While most vinyl figure publishers have production delays, we’re constantly causing our own toys months or even years of delay to get them right. If anytime soon means one year for you, then I say I hope so?

Lbonyvinyl_1

You’re working on bringing Little Bony to US fans through SEG toys. Is the release of that figure still scheduled for this fall?

Littlebony is indeed set for the fall. It will be interesting to see how folks in the USA respond to a character known only in Japan.

Will there be any other Little Bony figures – maybe a series of figures?

There is a set of plush capsule toys out now…very tricky to find those outside Japan.   If you are in Tokyo, you can find them in a Toy Store, at Circle K, any alley way, or next to the underwear machine.   Littlebony is the #3 TV character in Japan with boys (I hate you Pokemon and Magi Ranger) and #7 with girls (I hate you 6 other shows I can’t pronounce) thanks to one way glass character recognition testing, so I am pretty sure those numbers mean more goodies from the very nice people at Sony, Yujin, and Seg.

P1010102

I’m definitely looking forward to the Pounda and Chu Chu vinyl toys. Have you thought about bringing those characters to plush? I know I’d buy one!

Once we get the vinyl right, plush will join soon after.

Your new 2-Faced Series 2 set of Dunnys is drumming up some major interest. Could you tell us a little about the set and possibly the background story?

The Dunny 2-Face #2 set is the story of Wonda, photographer of the super natural.   He is on a quest to find Mothman, the mysterious creature who was controlling Little Inky…causing everyone to become 2 faced back stabbing monsters. How do you beat mothman? Spider Boom. But first you must find her. The set also includes 3 characters from Noupa. To replace your real Noupas which are broken by now for sure.

Eggydroppy2dun

Also, the two versions (green and blue) of your 8-inch Eggdrop Dunny look great. What’s the story behind that character?

Little Inky is the giant evil creature taking orders from Mothman. (all of my Dunny figures are to scale to each other)   So when Wonda is unable to find Spider Boom, he turns to Brad Luk, who has the ability to transform into Little Inky’s arch nemesis Egg Drop Ajaja. Yeah but then Evil Ajaja (blue) wants to stop Egg Drop.

We see it in a number of your works…the Mothman influence. Your new Dunny set even has a Mothman character. What has drawn you to this strange tale and do you believe Mothman exists?

Mothman exists for sure, and now that he knows you know, you’re screwed.

Now that Sun-Min and yourself are going to be “vinylized” for at least the second time (Dunnys and Noupa) does that give you celebrity status?

That gives us “tied to an M-80” status.

P1010120

You have some die-hard fans – just look at the Kidrobot discussion board. Do you find that a lot of folks are simply interested in the Uglydoll side of your work?

I think that most people who like what we do have no idea (and don’t really care) who we are. Which is just perfect. As long as they are having fun, we’re good.   The folks on the KR boards are the original few and unlike fans of underground rock bands who turn on their love once the band goes to MTV to sell us soda, the KR members don’t just like us because no one else knows about us…which is why we love them. Want a soda?

You have so many projects going on right now…Uglydolls, Pounda, Wonderplan 51, Little Bony, Noupa, as well as your work on Dunnys, Qees, Circus Punks, etc. How do you find the time to do it all?

No boss. That’s the key. And no going outside. That’s the other key.

Do you have any other top-secret information you can bestow upon my readers and myself? Any breaking news on toys or projects we have yet to hear about?

The three projects we spend most of our time on are not toy projects.
As far as toys go, keep your eyes on Yoya Mart.
Then say “eew, that’s it?”

Ok...time for my 10 random questions section. This is info you probably won't find anywhere else...

Dtecnolife

1 – Your favorite CD right now?
Uverworld D-technolife by Sony Music.

2 – Your favorite toy as a child?
Darth Vader evolutions figure set. I got it at Target last night.

3 – One up and coming artist we should keep our eyes on?
Sun-Min Kim. She’s huge. My days are numbered.

4 – Your favorite Tom Selleck movie?
Torn between “Daughters of Satan” and this super-8 movie I have of him refusing to give my father an autograph while eating at the Four Seasons hotel.

5 – Who would win in an Uglydolls Battle Royal Wrestling Match?
Uglydolls don’t fight. The illuminati wants us to fight. The best way to win is to do nothing. They cant send in the tanks when you’re doing nothing. So they train us to fight when things aren’t right. They’re ready for us then. Do nothing. Start with refusing to buy stamps or sending mail.

6 – What was your favorite subject in college or high school?
Math was my favorite art class.

7 – Favorite fast food joint?
I don’t do drugs.

8 – Most famous person you saw with an Uglydoll?
I saw Nelly throw one.

9 – Are you a sports fan?
Why don’t both teams work together? Think of how many points they could score.

10 – What words of inspiration would you like to leave to readers?
You keep telling us about this idea you have and about how you’re gunna do this and that…stop telling us. Just get it DONE sucka.

S83763

S83762_1S83764S83766S83767S837610S837611

30 Responses to “We Talk With Mr. Uglydoll Himself – David Horvath”

1. jack edwards says:

hi do you sell these, and to england, the david horvath things are briliant!

plz let me know id appreciate it?

if you dont do you know anywhere that they do

thanks again
    jack

2. jack edwards says:

hi do you sell these, and to england, the david horvath things are briliant!

plz let me know id appreciate it?

if you dont do you know anywhere that they do

thanks again
    jack

3. Brian says:

hmmm…check out our sponsors. I know some of them must currently be selling Uglydolls. Plus, keep an eye out on the site because there might just be a contest in the near future. ;)

4. Brian says:

5. jack edwards again! says:

okey dokey thanks,
    plz contact me if u ever do sell or have a competition
    jack

6. jack edwards again! says:

okey dokey thanks,
    plz contact me if u ever do sell or have a competition
    jack

7. jack edwards says:

what are the smaller uglydolls in the front of the normal sized uglydolls, are they available anywhere?

8. jack edwards says:

9. Brian says:

I don't think they were ever produced by Critterbox.

10. Brian says:

I don't think they were ever produced by Critterbox.

11. jack says:

what about pounda and chu chu? were they ever produced?

12. jack says:

what about pounda and chu chu? were they ever produced?

13. Brian says:

Unfortunately…no. Neither was Little Bony, because SEG went out of business following this interview.

14. Brian says:

15. jack says:

would any other manufacturers make them? sorry i keep bothering you, but i really do like them, and im only 15
    and do you know if there are going to be any vinyl figures of the newer uglydolls like big toe?

thanks again
    jack

16. jack says:

thanks again
    jack

17. Brian says:

no clue. you might need to ask david that question. they were supposed to made by Critterbox, but who knows

18. Brian says:

19. Karys says:

MOXY RULES!@!@!@!@!@ Can u make another bio 4 her? I really <3 my Moxy!!

20. Karys says:

MOXY RULES!@!@!@!@!@ Can u make another bio 4 her? I really <3 my Moxy!!

21. jack says:

hi, sorry me again, this is completely off the subject but why does the back of every vinyl uglydoll box have a picture of OX, my favourite, and then says OX with uglydog, and yet there isnt an uglydog with OX the figure?
    i dont want to sound picky or anything but why does it say that when it doesn't actually come with an uglydog?

and yay!! happy new year and merry x mas, i got a target vinyl, a little yoya in orange and a small bossy bear vinyl! what did everyone else get?

sorry about asking lots of annoying questions, but thanks for answering them.

Thanks

22. jack says:

sorry about asking lots of annoying questions, but thanks for answering them.

Thanks

23. jack says:

sorry i forgot to add this on

anyone who lives in england and likes vinyl figures – uglydoll or not there are some great shops around, theres at least one in birmingham, london, ely and norwich! all with quite a variety of stock. look them up on google, or post here and ill try to get back to you.

also if anyone knows of any other shops which sell designer vinyl figures or anything like it please could you post here and say where the are?

thanks

and sorry again, i just wanted to tell people there are places in England which sell this kind of thing, im sure there would be people as interested as me

thanks

24. jack says:

sorry i forgot to add this on

thanks

thanks

25. jack says:

can you answer my questions? pleeeeeeeeeeaase

26. jack says:

can you answer my questions? pleeeeeeeeeeaase

27. Sadie says:

Where can I get the sleepy chilley icebat?

28. Sadie says:

Where can I get the sleepy chilley icebat?